The Import Contacts feature lets you add new contacts in bulk to a workspace by importing their details via a .CSV file. Whispir provides a template that contains all the data fields for new contact profiles. You download the .CSV file from the Import Contacts page and then add as many contact details as you require, one contact per row.
If you want your imported contacts to also be added automatically to other workspaces, your company administrator can set up specific contact mapping rules for you. The rules are applied as the file is imported. See About Contact Mapping Rules.
- While it’s possible to import contacts via a vCard file, Whispir recommends that you use a .CSV file instead.
- Whispir also offers an alternative way to import contacts: the Contact API module. It can integrate with your company's external contact management system to import contacts regularly and map them across multiple Whispir workspaces. See About the Contact API module for more information.
Some rules for preparing the .CSV file
- Avoid changing any of the column headings in the template. These allow the data to be mapped correctly to the contact profile fields in Whispir during the import process.
- At minimum you must enter values for every contact in the FirstName, LastName, WorkEmailAddressPrimary, WorkMobilePhonePrimary and WorkingCountry columns.
- Delete the sample user data in Row 2.
- Ensure you save the updated file in .CSV file format.
- Ensure that the required workspace is on the Workspace toolbar.
- Hover over the workspace to view the Workspace menu.
- Under Contact Management click Import Contact. (If you can’t see it, click More to view more commands.)
The Import Contacts page opens.
- Click Example Template to download the .CSV template ‘import-contact-template.csv’.
- Open the file in Excel and add all the required user details to it.
Refer to the information above for help with preparing the file.
- Save the file as a .CSV file with a new name.
- On the Import Contacts page ensure CSV is selected and click Choose File or Browse (depending on the browser you’re using) and then browse for your saved .CSV file.
- Click Upload.
The Import Contacts page refreshes to display the import options and all the fields available for import.
Note: The list of imported fields corresponds to the column headings in your .CSV file.
- (mandatory) Select the import option that's most relevant to your file import situation:
The work email and work mobile phone number details in the imported file are compared to those of existing contacts. If a match is found, the existing contact details are overwritten by the details in your imported file. If there is no match, a new contact is created using the imported details.
The contact details in the imported file are used to create new contacts regardless of whether any details match those of existing contacts.
The contact details in the imported file are ignored if the following details match an existing contact:
This option is often used when new contacts have been added to the import file but the details of existing contacts in the file are unchanged. Only new contacts are imported; existing contacts are ignored.
- Select the check box next to each field to be included in the import process.
- If your .CSV file includes any column headings that don’t match directly to a Whispir field (in the Mapped to list) select the appropriate fields to map them to.
- Click Import.
The Import Contacts page lists the name and status of each imported contact. All successfully imported contacts now have a contact profile.
Note: If the import failed for any contacts read the information in the Report column, correct the relevant data in the .CSV file and upload the file again.